Security has since been intensified around the AHCI, according to the Bangladesh Police.
“Due to recent security incident at AHCI Chittagong, Indian visa operations at IVAC Chittagong will remain suspended from 21/12/2025 until further notice. The announcement for reopening the visa center will be made after reviewing the situation,” the notification said.
In New Delhi, the MEA asserted that there was no security breach by protesters who reached in front of the Bangladesh High Commission and raised slogans in protest against the lynching of a Hindu man in Mymensingh.
“We have noted misleading propaganda in sections of the Bangladesh media on the incident. The fact is that about 20-25 youth gathered in front of the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi on 20 December and raised slogans in protest against the horrendous killing of Dipu Chandra Das in Mymensingh, while also calling for the protection of all minorities in Bangladesh,” the MEA said in a statement.
There was no attempt to breach the fence or create a security situation at any time, it said, adding that the police dispersed the group after a few minutes.
“India is committed to ensure the safety of foreign Missions/Posts in its territory in accordance with the Vienna Convention. India continues to keep a close watch on the evolving situation in Bangladesh. Our officials remain in touch with Bangladesh authorities and have conveyed to them our strong concerns at the attacks on minorities. We have also urged that the perpetrators of the barbaric killing of Das be brought to justice,” the MEA noted.
Incidentally, there have been major protests outside Indian missions in Bangladesh, including an attack on an Indian diplomatic post in Chittagong, prompting Dhaka to step up security.
Earlier this week, police used tear gas to disperse crowds attempting to assemble outside Indian diplomatic residences, including that of India’s deputy high commissioner, in Dhaka. Members of the National Citizen Party (NCP), an offshoot of Students Against Discrimination, joined the protests, raising anti-India slogans and demanding the extradition of Hadi’s alleged killers.
In Rajshahi, police blocked protesters from reaching the Indian mission, while social media videos showed stone-throwing incidents near the AHCI. In Shahbagh, demonstrators raised slogans such as ‘Delhi na Dhaka? Dhaka, Dhaka’ and called for surrounding the Indian embassy.
Bangladesh has seen a spate of violence in Dhaka and several other cities late Thursday after news emerged that Hadi had died in Singapore, where he was undergoing treatment after being shot on 12 December. Two major media houses, The Daily Star and Prothom Alo, were set on fire.
The resident of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the founding president of Bangladesh, at Dhanmondi 32 was attacked again. Protest marches were also reported near Indian diplomatic missions in Rajshahi and Chattogram.
Protesters allege that Hadi’s attackers fled to India after the shooting, even as Bangladesh authorities have not produced any conclusive evidence so far. As unrest spread, at least one communal incident was reported Thursday night, with the police confirming that Dipu Chandra Das was beaten to death by a mob in Mymensingh over alleged blasphemy.
On Friday, Bangladesh’s interim chief adviser Muhammad Yunus announced a day of national mourning following Hadi’s death and ordered special prayers across the country. Hadi’s funeral was held Saturday at Dhaka University.

+ There are no comments
Add yours